Friday, September 18, 2009

Update on Bella


Hello! Sorry it has been a while since I have updated, but things have been hectic since Miss Isabella arrived! First, we went home the morning after Bella was born instead of 2 days later hoping to get more sleep there...1st mistake! No sleep was to be had at home either and then we didn't have the nursery stocked with RN's to care for her while we could sleep for an hour or two! Then on Sunday Bella was looking pretty yellow. I called the MD on call ( I know her well as I did my clinicals at their office) and she told me to have a bili level drawn the next morning after our lactation visit. Bella was doing well...was the same weight as when we left the hospital (7# 12.9 oz) and was nursing relatively well. The MD didn't think Bella looked too jaundiced, but decided to still have the blood drawn. Her level was elevated (17.3) and we had to start a bili light bed for her at home for the next 48 hours. The next several days were a blur of no sleep, trips to the lab for multiple blood draws, and a fussy newborn who didn't want to lay on the bili bed. Thankfully, her levels decreased and we did not have to continue the lights for more than 2 days.


Bella has still been fussy...I don't remember Nathan being this fussy, but Justin said he was. I think it is that phenomenon of blocking out the not so pleasant memories that would make you hesitate having a 2nd child! I cannot get her to sleep unless I am nursing her in a quiet room. And then if I put her down, she wakes up. I am sleeping in the rocker/recliner with her just to be able to close my eyes for a little while! She has reflux and was started on Prevacid Monday and now has a cold that the rest of us have had since she was born. So, she is having a hard time breathing through her little nose too! Nursing is going okay...she still isn't the best because she has a small mouth, but we are working on it. No matter what, she is growing at a ridiculous pace!! She was 21.5 inches long and 8 pounds 15 ounces at our visit on Monday. And then on Wednesday when we saw lactation, she had already gained another 5 ounces in 48 hours putting her up to 9 pounds 4 ounces!! She's going to be chunky like brother! :) Her eyes have changed to a beautiful deep blue and her hair has already lightened...not quite to Nathan's blonde, but lighter than birth!


Nathan LOVES his baby sister! He loves to hug and kiss her and hold her!!! He runs to say "Hi baby baby" when he gets home. He says "Bless you baby" when she sneezes and asks lots of questions about her diapers when we change her! One thing I find fascinating is how quickly Bella calms when he talks to her...she can be very fussy and if he gets right up next to her and talks to her in his sweet voice, she instantly quiets. It makes my heart melt!!


Well, that was my 15 minutes I could steal away to try to do something besides feed Bella, laundry, or dishes! I will try to update again soon...depending on how things are going here!! Nathan has Bronchitis and beginnings of an ear infection, so pray he gets better soon!!


Love to you all!

The Smith's

No comments: